oh fern

September marked the most joyous occasion of the first birthday of the sweetest Fern.  It seems like just yesterday I received that wonderful text she was here.

 I packed up the car and waved goodbye to Mom and Stella.  Stella was a wee bit jealous and disappointed not be going.  

 It was an amazing Thursday evening, just perfect for a the five hour drive north to Central Lake.  Plus, I had this sunset to keep me company for a stretch.

 Sweet Fern was asleep when I got there but I sneaked a peak at her the next morning during first nap.  She's an early riser like her mother and was down for her nap before I was out out of bed the next morning.

 Our first destination on the rainy Friday was the farmer's market.  Maggy had a list of supplies needed for dinner and the festivities the next day.

Fern and I became instant friends.  It took about two seconds.

 Maggy snagged a large back of the most delicious apples.  Due to a late frost Indiana and Southern Michigan lost most of their crop, but all is well in the north.

We spent the afternoon digging around a thrift store before heading back to the farm.

Friday evening brought the most delicious meal.  Maggy is a terrific cook (as always) and she whipped up a vegan mac and cheese for our dinner with her in-laws.  We also had a delicious apple crisp.

Saturday, we went gathering for the festivities for various Central Lake merchants.  Of course we had to check out Bachman's.  I do believe we had wandered in here when Lizzie and I made our first trip up north that year we first met - six years ago.  It is their local "dime store" and has a pretty impressive selection.

 My favorite detail of the store was that it used to be a bank and the vault is currently their office.  How cool.  

 Fern was in love with the apples.

The next few hours we peddled to the metal to get things around for the festivities.  By the time the guests started to arrive I was just finishing icing cupcakes and everything was ready to go.  Maggy made another delicious recipe.

 Fern looked adorabel in her outfit and was just about perfect.  

She smashed her cake just enough.   When it came time to unwrap presents she was astounded and interested in each one and did a fabulous job of unwrapping. 

 Maggy was magnificent.  There just aren't word for how I feel about this lady.

Mag had the brilliant idea to print photos and we strung them on the wall like clothes lines.  There were some chronological growth ones.  I especially enjoyed all the ones of Fern trying foods and the sweet photos of Maggy and Andrew with Fern as a new baby.  Andrew is serving our country overseas and adding his photographical presence was really special.

By the end of the night we were all ready to collapse into our beds as Ferngully had done hours before.

Sunday was a damp morning with rain coming and going.  We took the short trip to Brownwood.  It was a different beast from the last time we were there in the heat of July.  I much prefer this trip in crisp weather and with die-hard fans.  


 In the central building there is a general store just full of interesting items and a good selection of old-time candies and local preserves.

 In the doughnut house Maggy ordered us up to hot cinnamon sugar donuts when we found out they were dairy-free.  And it was delicious.

 We snagged a few to take back the the farm with us to share with Andrew's folks and grandma.

 Fern got in a little Sunday afternoon reading.

In a perfect end to a great trip with spent the afternoon (after second nap) traipsing through the woods with Maggy's dad and step-mom.

 We donned hunting garb because the season had just opened. 

That is when I remembered why I NEVER wear the color orange.  When I was in the second grade the family took a trip to Washington D.C. for Spring Break.  My mother made us all where bright orange hunting hats the WHOLE time.  It was awful (at the time).  In retrospect I admire her genius.  It had to be exhausting keeping track of six kids under nine years old.  But I still despise that color.

 Fern was just loving it, obviously totally in her element.  Isn't the fern the Michigan state flower?

 I marveled in the glory of a fallen birch.

 I was also pretty thrilled to be finally getting some dirt in my Bean boots.

In the woods we scouted newts, old latrines, hunting stands, massive tree fungus, old homesteads, and this winter's toboggan run.  I love seeing Maggy in the her element.  She grew up traipsing through that forest and nothing makes me happier than knowing her daughter will grow up with that same respect and awe for life.  Fern already has it.

 Then it was time for me to go back home.  They waved me down the lane - just like my Grandma does.

 The rain came and went in bucket and torrents.  It made for a beautiful Sunday drive.

 Maggy's Michigan had once again shared a little bit of magic with me.

Every visit I have with Maggy I am just more and more grateful that God brought us together.  She was my random housemate that showed up one dark Savannah evening in her manual transmission Saturn carrying boxes of the real necessities all bound for the kitchen.  We shared a love of Fibers and she taught me (among other many things) to have a love of learning.  She and Lizzie faned the flames of my faith and my sense of adventure.  Here we are six years later, she is still my constant teacher.  Maggy and Lizzie are still fanning the flames of my faith as we share the adventures of our lives from our three edges of the country.  There are no words.

Comments

  1. Sharon. Reading about our time together was almost as sweet as the time actually was! You have a magical way of writing and combining photos. I love it. Also can't believe you saw a double rainbow!!! YEAH! That's so awesome. And over an orchard? love it. Though my favorite part may have been the last paragraph. I can't tell you how thankful I am for you (and Lizard!). You are one of the many reason I swear by internet dating... :) If it weren't for the net, we'd never have met!! (um, that should be the slogan for something...) anywho. Everything you said about our friendship is spot on. I love that the three of us just keep growing more together through common interests and loves, despite the distance. Thank you for all you did to help with the party, and preparty entertaining! The cooking was so not me, you manned the stove! And I'm so thankful. You know how to make parties run smooth! And you know, you could make it back for one more donut on Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole post brought smiles and tears. I so wish Vivian and I could have been there too! You two are seriously the best, and I agree wholeheartedly that there are no words.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment