carrier redo

[This post is intended to show the process of making for my own personal use.  I did so knowing full well any safety risks that may be involved.]

When this well-used Ergo carrier came into my possession I intended to pass it along to a friend.  It turned out that the friend had one  already and so I now had a third carrier that wasn't quite what I needed/wanted.  

A few weeks back I had borrowed a friend's onbuhimbo style carrier. I was looking for a different way to wear Glenn on my back.  Normally I front-carry with either a Beco (for walks) or a Baby K'tan (for casual wearing).  Glenn did not like being back carried in the Beco so I was looking for ideas.  The onbuhimbo let him be much higher on my back, with our shoulders parallel, so he could see more of what was going on.  One of my favorite aspects of the onbuhimbo was that there was no uncomfortable waist strap.  It was more like wearing a backpack.

One day I glanced at the spare carrier in my closet and an idea struck.  It had some features that I really wanted...mainly that lovely zipper pocket.  Why couldn't I redo this into something I would use?

 [BEFORE]



 Glenn really loved exploring the zipper.









 [AFTER]


 Glenn really likes to be in this carrier.  He is a curious kid so the higher vantage point keeps him happy.

Today I tried it with a front carry.  We did a three mile walk in neighborhood trails and it was great.  It took a little repositioning but I eventually got it where I wanted it.

Comments