the calm

Here we are.
Last Monday, I graduated.

There was much work, studying and sleeplessness involved in this achievement but it was most certainly not one I earned alone.

My amazing parents celebrated the occasion.  

Their love and support have been so very vital and important through this whirlwind fifteen months.  The hours of phone conversations and constant encouragement was indispensable.  Their being here to celebrate the day made is so very special.  Gratitude beyond words.  

 Beyond word is also what describes this moment.

Naturally, all of my loved ones were sitting in the front row of the auditorium.  All the candidates stood, lined up waiting for hooding, diploma and handshakes.  Eury saw me and walked over.  She had this huge grin on her face as she looked up for a hug and it was just incredible.  This was one of the best hugs of my life.

 This family.  

Without all of their support and encouragement day after day I most certainly would not have been able to walk across that stage.  All those late nights, waiting up for me, listening to me blabber on and on about the things that I have learned.  (Not to mention all that taking care of my dog during those crazy fourteen hour days.)  Thank you for providing such a peaceful (even in the insanity) and love-filled home for me to rest and refocus my mind.

It was quite the magical evening.

Now it is that strange calm.  I remember it from undergrad.  That feeling that there must be something due for some class.  I can't possibly just sit here for a minute because I must maximize every precious minute.  
I just pushed submit on the big research project.
I do have a small island of paperwork to fill out for my new job, but that has been set aside for family time, friends and chores.
But our house is in a strange anticipatory calm as we await the arrival of the smallest Thomas.  We keep telling him anytime would be great.
So, I'll be stitching his quilt, playing with his big sister as much as possible, and thinking of things to add to one of the four or five lists I have in preparation for the future.

Comments