a set up

Last weekend brought great performance after great performance. This was the fourth fall drama I have been a part of and they just keep being awesome.

This year's show was Sherlock Holmes.  It called for a very simple set.  The layout and look of the sets have quite a few determining factors.  We start with the design provided in the scripts and then modify for what is both capable and cohesive for NorthWood's stage.  Often times as the show develops, the performance will help make determining factors for what will or won't be included.  For this particular show the director and I threw around ideas for a backdrop.  After he did some searching ordering a drop was not possible.  We then thought maybe we would order some fabric and paint our own drop.  His experience with painting the fabric led us to simply placing ten foot panels against the wall to be our back drop.

I sketched out a street scene I amalgamated from a few Victorian era London photographs.

I spent a few evenings getting pencil outlines up on the wall to give guidance for the students to paint.  A work day was called and with the bribe of my dad's cinnamon rolls about a dozen students dedicated their Saturday morning to getting the wall painted.  I explained to them, with some visual aid, that we were working with a loose painting style based in Impressionism.

I put groups of students on each building and instructed them on color choice and technique as they painted.  

My favorite part about work days is getting to know some of the underclassmen I haven't worked with yet.  I love seeing the students put their skills into the overall vision.  It really adds so much more to any initial ideas I may have.  

They make it all happen - an it is always way better than I could have hoped.

The show was set in four locations.  The director had the vision to set raised platforms to contain each location and the stage was kept very open.

I am just amazed how different every show's set turns out.  My first show was Arsenic and Old Lace which was set in the house of two old spinsters.  It had twelve foot tall walls and was completely built.  Compare that to the forested A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Opening night came and whole cast and crew was just buzzing with energy.  The excitement was tangible and I was overwhelmed with pride and love for all these students.  


Zachary's final Fall drama curtain call.

It is hard to believe that I have been present in the department for all four years of the senior's time in the drama department.  I think that this senior group really did bring tremendous leadership and strong performances to the show.  Some time ago I realized that they would an incredible group to work with as seniors and I was definitely not disappointed.  It was also incredible group of underclassmen.  Did I mention that the kids are awesome?!

We had our super simple set stuck in record time and the customary pizza party followed.

I am so very much looking forward to the Spring Musical.  I wonder what it will be...

Comments

  1. Oh, I love that photo of Mr. Zachary's final fall curtain call. Love love love.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment