an apple for Miss T

In August I began substitute teaching once more.  I had done this for a few days before I left for New York last winter and had very much enjoyed it.  It has been keeping me busy.


Initially I requested to just teach Middle and High School.  But I began getting calls to substitute in Functional Skills at the Elementary level.  It is a special bunch of students in that classroom and one never quite knows what the day will bring.  Everything is scheduled and keeps moving quickly.  Just like the students.

After a while I had spent just about as many days in Functional Skills as I had in any of the mainstream classrooms.  Both left me with a sense of awe and respect for the educational process.  I was also fortunate enough to be an aid to students that need one on one attention.  This not only gave me some very great experience with the students but I have had the opportunity to observe over a dozen different teachers and sit in on their instructional processes.  I couldn't be more grateful.

One day a few weeks ago, I received the Sub Caller rang and asked if there was any chance I would be willing to sub a few days in Elementary schools in the other part of the district.  My first day of subbing last winter I had a kind of intense day with 1st graders and that left me with great trepidation to step back into the primary classroom, but I agreed.  After all since then I had had so much more experience and time spent in the Functional Skills had tempered me, so to speak.

Tuesday morning I stepped into a third grade classroom.  I gave myself a bit of prep time and said a few prayers.  I even text my friend that worked in the same school for pointers.  She said, "Just treat them like adults, small adults."  That is exactly what I said over and over in my head.  It was awesome.  I had so much fun with the kids and was so surprised at how smoothly the day went even though at one point I had messed up the math lesson and had to do a little reverse action to get things back to where they needed to be.



Another great thing about substitute teaching is being surrounded by so many veteran teachers and being able to ask them for advise and observe their interactions with students.  I really am so grateful that I get to do this everyday.  They all really care about kids and have a passion for their jobs - that is really cool to be a part of as well.

Bonus points: I get to read children's books!  They are my books of choice.

Comments

  1. Children's books!!! They really are the best. When it comes to elementary students, I have this weird disconnect and usually end up treating them like toddlers (probably from all my church nursery experience.) Treating them like small adults is such good advice!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment