time for tea

Tonight was the first time in months that I observed tea.

A spicy Chai-ish tea was brewed.

Tonight, after an impromptu trip to the local Polish corner market - Busy Bee, I boiled up a kettle of water.  While Johanna and I were perusing the isles - she keeps me in the know on the food goings on - I picked up a pack of nougat wafer cookies.  Johanna explained that wafers were super popular and remembered having found one dairy-free variety.  I knew that this would call for tea time.

When I lived in Savannah tea was a constant after-class affair involving a pot of tea and whatever toast and jam or cookie biscuit I had in the cupboards.  I tried to uphold this tradition living in Indiana.  Looking back a little further this tea-time was a staple of living in Lacoste.  Lunch was served at 12noon and dinner at 7pm - tea came around three to get we mademoiselles de fil through the day.  It also involved whatever cheap cookie biscuits found at the local boulangerie (bakery) and an electric hot pot.  If I think back even further - I recall Rachel and I having tea parties at her kitchen table with fresh peppermint from her back yard. 

The secret to a good tea time is a whole pot of tea.  When there is the whole pot tea is schlermped more leisurely.  When I brew up a good tea time I always plop three bags (or teaspoons of loose tea) in the pot and serve honey and "milk" on the side (almond or coconut).  Another important aspect of tea time is tea cups with saucers (and when I have my way - silver spoons).  But the all time number one important thing about tea is who you are drinking it with.  Today I was lucky enough to be sharing a pot with Johanna.

Comments