rosy neighbors

We have been having quite a bit of rain in the city of late.  It has also been slightly cool - the combination yielding perfect rose growing conditions.  I have been admiring every plant I come across.  Brooklyn seems to exceptional at rose growing.

 Our downstairs neighbors have the access to the back garden.  It remains mostly jungle-like - which I quite enjoy and it made for a magical setting a few weeks back with the birthday party.  A few days ago I noticed massive roses growing on one of the bushes.  Since then I've been staring at them longingly.  

When I overheard Johanna speaking with the neighbors at our doorways the other day I made a mad dash to grab a pair of scissors and make a plea for roses.  They said I was quite welcome to them.  Standing in front of the "bush" there were roses growing well over my head.  They were all long stemmed as well.

 I snipped three.

 Johanna and I put one in the wall pocket in the kitchen.  The other two we each plopped into a vase for our bedside tables.

It certainly was a beauty.

I just wish the had a fragrance.  They would not have lasted long in Mom's garden.  A rose that doesn't have a scent won't hold its own in her beds.

By morning our roses had begun to fade - they are wild and I think the indoors just didn't suit them.  I was grateful for their beauty - no matter how fleeting.  Thank you neighbors!

Comments