the show

Saturday and Sunday the fall drama took stage. I very much enjoyed everything about the show this year. It was really great working with all the students. I had such an awesome time with the group that came out to help paint the sets. They were so helpful and made the walls look fabulous.

The show went without incident, practically perfect. I sat back stage during a dress rehearsal and really felt a good sense of camaraderie, fun and calm amongst all the kids. As usual, being a part of the show is just such a great pick-me-up. Their energy and general passion (about all things in life) always give me that boost from the day to day and remind me that I too am still young.

Faux wallpaper.  It was so much fun to make up a repeat and explain all the principles of it to the students helping with the painting.  I probably confused them even more but they figured it out.

That same stage just a few hours after the last curtain call.  Striking the set always brings mixed emotions.  On one hand it seems like all the work is just gone in a matter minutes but on the other hand it is a huge sense of completion to see everything come full circle.  The beauty of the stage is that it is a one time deal.  It is never the same performance twice.

The Saturday show fan club.  Lewis and Sam & Laura all came to town for the show.  Rachel game and giggled and whispered with me during the show.  It was so nice to watch with my favorite crowd!

My twin! What I didn't tell you in my first baldness post was that Lewis and I had a conversation earlier this year about a mutual desire to shave our heads.  When I sent him the text that I had done it he got the clippers out the next morning.  This only proves my theory that we look the most alike, aside from our now evident genetic differences of my having a widow's peak and his not (yeah high school Biology!). 

Notes from the shaved head: 
For the most part people are very nice about my short hair.  I was surprised by some of the (young crowd) drama kids reactions.  Many of them thought it was "awesome" but there were also a few that were concerned that I was sick (approached and respectfully asked about it).  Thinking about it now there was a kid in drama (last year?) that lost his hair in chemo and I'm sure that is what sparked and drew the concern.  

Generally, there have been a lot of cold head comments, which are valid and come with a sense of humor.  I've had to explain to a few people, when they ask, why, and that doesn't bother me.  But it is the few and very few negative comments that bother me.  I understood that there would be some but gathering from the general politeness of almost everybody the few unnecessarily rude comments have really caught me off guard.  I also am slightly upset by the fact that these few people think they are allowed to share with me their negative opinion on my hairstyle.  [WARNING: soapbox rant ahead] I would never dream of insulting someone about their personal style - say something like the fact they are wearing a hoodie.  I, personally, hate wearing hoodies.  Here I am picking a general item.  I also have a personal preference to never were sweat pants in public unless I am going to a yoga class or intend to be doing some sort of physical activity outdoors.  I realize that not everyone has the same clothing preferences as I do and would never go up to any acquaintance or even a good friend and make negative comments about said attire they chose to wear.  I respect them.  I may be judging them in my mind - subconsciously - or I could really care less.  Odds are, it's the latter.  They are comfortable.  They are enjoying the experience of wearing a hoodie and option of half their body being enveloped by the same piece of fabric.  Good for them.  I'm glad that they were able to experience the joy of knit clothing.   Maybe it is these negative folks frustration that I would remove all of the perfectly good hair from my head.  But the good news for them is that it is my head.  And the good new for me is that it is them wearing a hoodie in public - not me. 

All in all, I find the best solution to anything is a big smile.  I try to smile as much as possible in attempts to remind people that I am still me.  I may have a foot less of hair hanging off of my head and still slightly visible scalp but I am still just me.  In doing so, I am also reminding myself of who I am.  Being able to have that constant reminder is wonderful.  I am quite happy to have an eighth inch of hair and quite grateful for this experience in general.

Comments

  1. That wallpaper is awesome Shar! I've got some pretty plain walls here...hint...hint.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The faux wallpaper looked great! And so do you! You're much prettier than your twin :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment