life goal number 2...check!

Wednesday evening I changed my hair style. 

It has always been something I wanted to do at some point in my life.  Some people have normal goals of owning their own business or running a marathon.  My list is short so far: 1. to surf  2. to shave my head and feel my scalp  3. be in the desert. 

It was Wednesday evening that I realized it was time to accomplish one of those goals.  It felt like I was at the right point in my life to unburden my head of hair.  My hair isn't something that I try to give too much effort or emphasis.   Combing it in the morning is as far as I go.  As I sat there having tea with Rachel and found yet again more stray hairs on my scarf I realized that I didn't want to go through the winter with the static and irritating strays.  I didn't want to have hair at all anymore.  That is when I decided it was time.  Rachel became my willing and able accomplice.    



 Josh helped with the no-guard clipping.  He is a pro.




I'm quite happy with the experience.  Drastic change is often difficult to deal with.  I have been taking it a little at a time.  I haven't actually gone out in public bare-headed.  At one angle the possibility of conversation that could result in my hairlessness is quite interesting but on the other hand I am also quite aware of the stigma/connotation/cultural significance that my shaved head bares.  It is not quite acceptable and in order to ease into it I have chose to keep my head wrapped in silk scarves when I go to work or out.  If you don't mind too much I may further discuss my encounters and research into why our society feels the way it does about baldness in general.  I think I will leave it at that for now. 

Comments

  1. AAAHHHH I've been waiting for this post and I LOVE IT. That video was so awesome... I had the biggest grin on my face the entire time :)

    Prouda you. And, I actually would be interested in hearing your thoughts on society and baldness, so please share if you feel so inclined.

    I need to see it (your bald head) in person ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, you're awesome. That's all I have to say :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment