the change

I've notice the change. 

My life here has been happening for over a year now and there are things in my day to day that I have noticed.

Often, I refer to making decision or doing something as a "we".  Life is not only me (and Stella).  Though sometimes I definitely think/act like that is the case, the truth of the matter is now my life is intertwined with the lives of my family members.  Decisions are a group effort and the delicate art of compromise and considering others is to be used.  Communication and sincerity are key to a peaceful home and solid relationships. 

I have a planner.  I made it and it has each week in view.  Occasionally, as I flip the page to a new week, there is an event scheduled for a date.  But most likely, what happens is each night is allotted out to people and places as the week progresses, filling up each spot of "empty" time.  Thus, I find myself with a relatively full schedule with always something to do and someone to see.

The art of stillness and conversation are two things I am currently studying.  My day is spent in the company of and in conversation with those who have led long and interesting lives.  By sitting and listening I have gleaned their stories.  My evenings are spent in chatter and conversation with my family.  So often as we each arrive home we seek out one another to sit and chat and be still from our days events.  In this manner I learn the amazing qualities of the people I am so fortunate to have as my family.  On days when I feel low and dull it is through them that I can feel pride for being a part of such incredible lives.

That is what I am doing.  

No, I am not "using my degree" in the typical sense.

I make a newspaper. I sell old things. I decorate sets for high school plays.  Those are my occupations.  

Just the other day it really hit me, after being a part of the newspaper for some six years now, over a thousand people see what I do every week.  I suppose there are those that have careers that impact far greater but the substance of what I do hit me.  The see and assimilate the words and images I place together for them.  My neighbors, my friends, my family, and strangers all over the county and country.  Any typos and pour cropping goes into the records of our little town and a hundred years from now they will still be there for schoolchildren to see.  

I guess that is using my degree.

But more importantly...I'm living my life.  

God gave it to me and I think it's one of those practical gifts meant to be used.


It's a beautiful life - often difficult, some days downright frustrating but it's life.  Beautiful life, and it is so full.

I will be sure to send a thank you card.

Comments