trash picker

This week is large item trash pick up.  Every year in the spring the town of Wakarusa sponsors this for its residents to throw out the strange, large items that normally would not fit into their trash cans.  Residents can start bringing items to their curb a week before the big day.  This can be a fun time for junk collectors such as myself.  I am someone who can see potential in old and busted, much the the chagrin of my father, and love the patina of age.

Dear Mom, the best scout, spotted a group of old suitcases in a refuse pile on East Waterford Street.  She was quick to call me up and in no time at all the "back in 5 minutes" sign was on the door of the shop.

I salvaged out these two treasures.


This baby is metal, the color is fab.
 
Only slightly rusty, the corners are the best detail.
 
The second one is a bit heavier.  I believe it was an old military accessory, but it was loaded with treasures from the 1960s.
 
A stack of paperbacks and a few textbooks.
 
This painted black and white is pasted to the faux bois contact paper liner inside.
 
The bottom is lined in a November 1961 sports section.  I am enjoying the drawing with the back side of a man bowling.

The gray case is now the home of my dish collection, patiently awaiting cupboards to live on.

Comments

Post a Comment