whittling knitting needles

I had the thought...what exactly are knitting needles but two sticks with pointy ends. Thus began the whittling. Dad helped me with the first set of little nubby fat needles I made out of spare dowels. Then came a trip to the hardware store.

After a good look through in the Wakarusa Pro Hardware store's selection of dowels I noticed that most were made in Malaysia but a few sizes were made here in the USA in Madison from renewable poplar forests. Four dowels - about three dollars.

Whittle, whittle and the aid of a hand saw and I had my points. Sandpaper for the ends and voila!

Here they are in their final state - with a printer paper sanding and coat of beeswax and done! I have been debating about the ends - as whether or not to cab them. I believe I will just leave them with no knobs or stoppers to keep them lighter for use.

A bunch of red, loving the big loops.

A neck wrap - almost completed. It just needs a few finishing touches.

I have really been enjoying this big ol' needles - they range from 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Its just fun and fast. I prefer to knit a base fabric and add crochet details. I'm a pretty novice knitter - cable knitting has proven my nemesis since it's first introduction to my life.

Comments

  1. whittling is a fun word to say. awesome work as usual. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment