in the neighborhood...

I was in the neighborhood - Ligonier - the other evening and gave my Grandma a ring to see if she was up for a visit.


She was.


I stopped by the panaderia I knew that carried Mexican coke in bottles. Made with cane sugar and it's so much better for a good treat.

We found the bottle openers and she and I and Mr. Hawley sat down for a good spell.

She started to tell me about some of the old things in her house because we discussed that I work in an antique store and like old things.


One of my favorite items is a sugar dish made by my Great Grandmother Agnes.

You can see the cracks where this or that has been repaired...and I just love the red clay and green splotchy glaze and the insignia.

I found out that it has a creamer friend, made four years later, and given to my great-great aunt Helen. Most likely it was a given to Helen by her sister Agnes.

This is the only remaining piece of Agnes' wedding china. Bavarian.

We looked through other things like her jewelry and piles of things in the basement. And the old family piano - which she said is mine. But I'm leaving it with her until I have rightful home for it. It is good piano of dark wood with the ivory all worn off its keys and a history of generations of children learning at it. It was such a lovely visit. I wish for many more.

(Glowing eyes in the distance - there were nearly a dozen in the heard)

As always caution was headed for deer on the drive home. Most of the route is on the good back-roads where deer frequent. These would be the roads that my father unintentionally has brought the death of three deer via automobiling. I take caution but also know when to stop and watch in amazement - they are quite beautiful.

Comments