On air!

Today, I bid in my first real life auction. I've never even bought something on e-bay, let alone in a real life auction with the auctioneer rambling on 500 beats per minute.

This auction has a story. It starts with an ad received for an auction to be held for the school system and an interview. I was interviewing with the principal and he mentioned how the school used to own quite a few looms but had been in storage for decades and were now to be purged in the pending sale. After conformation through my sources, I knew they would be at the sale.

Today was the day.

I could hardly sleep last night. And I woke up super early this morning. Sleeping is one of my fortes so not be able to do so is quite strange.

When we finally finished the days work, it was off to the auction. My boss, the younger, briefing me on all the tips and rules of the trade when going to battle at the auction block.

We approached to sorry rows of rejected materials. Ripped out sinks, rusty weight equipment, counter tops, overly padded office chairs, things that feel quite familiar and were possibly part of my elementary education.

And I saw it. I knew it was love. One beautiful dark wood four harness floor loom. Just perfect. I drooled. My heart started to pound a little.

We got the number. 124.

To our shock the auctioneer declared that loom row would be first. Good golly. I was told to be right up front - maintain eye contact with the auctioneer.

Some frame looms came up. Sold to us. Okay, that was just the warm-up. Next the big one.

Golly.

It was a blurr. Only one other bidder. SOLD! $45.00

And then we picked up a table top loom for the fun.

I thought my heart would pump out of my chest.

With the help of a kind man, who so graciously volunteered his truck when he saw that the loom was going to be quite a pickle to get into the Boss's jeep, all the looms came home with us. Plus, I got to chat with him a bit. His daughter and I were schoolmates and I quite remember how he and his wife shared their experience of adopting said classmate from Korea.

Now there is a pile of looms just waiting for me to put them all together and wipe away the layer of dust.

What a good day!

Comments

  1. what a wonderful story!!!
    now YOU have a loom, Sharon Rose!
    weeee! what are you doing for new years eve???? want to come to MASS? what a blessid thought! (Lynz + maybe Jilly and maybe even Dommy are coming!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment