A Barn.

(It sure has been a whirlwind past few weeks. Apologies for the lack of posts. I'll muster up some fun stuff.)

A few months ago I noticed a few boards missing from the side of this structure. I thought to myself "oh, no, their demoing another beautiful barn to build some ghastly thing that will be ripped apart when the wind starts to blow." That just wrenches me in the gut when I see old things being torn down. But, alas, this story has a happy ending.

Formally located on Pierce Road on, in the county, it now resides in pieces on the back of a flat-bed truck. Mr. B.R. and his crew at Second Chance Barn Restorations are taking the boards to a new home.

Setting in this spot since the 1870s this barn will be reconstructed a bit shorter but with all the same character of its hand-built self. Most of its structural beams are about a foot square and some still hold the bark from the tree they once were. When it was built there were no power tools and the giant posts are put together with pegs. Square headed nails held on the siding.

In its new life this barn will be for horses and covered in a fresh layer of poplar siding. I just can't wait to see it.

Comments