Local...It's what's for dinner.

Mondays are my night to make dinner. J cooks Tuesday, Wednesday is sandwich day, Thursday is Dad's night and Friday Mom's with Zachary and Lewis supposed to be cooking on weekends.

After work I picked up Josiah from home (he is home on break from school until tomorrow) and we went to Nappanee. He needed a haircut and to Hepler's Barber Shop he went. Oh, I really wanted to go in to, but Barbering is a man's world and I can respect that. I love barber shops. I always wanted my hair cut at the barber.

I went running about while he was in the shop. Off to find things at the various other stores in Nappanee's Downtown - which, really has quite a bit to offer.

The office supply store was the first stop. They had everything imaginable. I finally got a date stamp that I have been longing for and one manila envelope. Yes, you can by them individually. This store also stocks ribbon for my typewriter and, on Tuesdays, a man to repair them. I'm in love.

Next, I hopped across the street to Martin's Hardware. WOW. They have a huge selection. Everything and more that you could get at a big chain store but with guys like Mike who can and actually offer to help you find what you're looking for. Service! *Gasp* Here I found something I thought I would never see hanging on a store rack again...a pack of Polaroid film. Just one pack. And for a price cheaper than any I've ever noted. Here is one of the beautiful perks of my shopping challenge.

After finding Josiah with his newly coiffed red-head, we went over to get a piece of meat for dinner at John's Butcher Shop. Here the owner even through the pieces of meat on the scale for me to compare weights. Then she offered to season my selection and then wrapped it up in white butcher paper. Josiah chose a cane sugar bottled soda from the fridge and I got an onion - all of which was tallied onto the meat's white packaging - and packaged up into a brown paper bag. Love, again.

After an evening out with the buds at the coffee house, I finally got around to cooking the meat and making dinner. Let me tell you, that was the best meat. It was so delicious I had everyone rolling over their stuffed bellies in a matter of minutes. Score one more for the local shop.

Comments

Post a Comment