For A Good Evening...

What better way to spend the evening then the company of your elders?

A couple evenings ago the American Legion Post 307 was having their monthly carry in dinner. Knowing of its happening my editor suggested I go check it out and give them a little press.

I went.

It was such a sweet experience. The meal had finished and they were just setting up for Bingo. Wanting to do a bit of interviewing, I sat and was immediately given a board. By golly, I haven't played Bingo since high school Spanish class. It was so much fun. What a great way to sit and chat but still have a bit going on. Half the time we'd be chatting away and "what was that number".

The Legion is composed of veterans who served during a time of conflict and the American Legion Auxiliary. The Auxiliary is a group of women, all whom have had an immediate family member serve. Come to find out that I am actually qualified to join because my mother's father served in Japan during WWII - he was a ambulance driver (possibly the reason he was such an amazing driver, so I hear, I never met him).

It kind of saddens me that more social groups that were quite important a few generations ago are fizzling out. Maybe we need to start them up again.

Comments