CONTRAST.

It is 2009 now. Four years ago, in 2005, I was preparing to graduate from High School. I knew I would be leaving, a plotted move that I had been unknowingly attempting for years. Sometimes I had been reined in by my parents (no you can't go to Africa, no you can't be a foreign exchange student in the Ukraine) and sometimes facilitated (countless yearbook camps, two trips to NYC, and a week at IU between Jr. Sr. years). Well, anyway, as the year wound down my reoccurring theme song seemed to be Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson (yes, I know how poppy - but it fit quite well, especially with my attempt to become a NYC resident through Columbia, thankfully they rejected me). Now I have spent the past four years doing just this, breakaway - spreading my wings (blah, blah, blah) resident of Savannah, countless moves, countless plane trips, France twice, Spain twice, San Francisco, NYC (again), and whatever else I got into my head I needed to do.

Four years have come and gone. I listen to the song and no longer feel that rushing sense of the eminent future. Not that nervous excitement and ansty-ness. I feel contentment. Been there, done that. I feel my feet on the ground and ready to stand just were I am. I feel the shift to this song. The Call by Regina Spektor. I'm growing up. Those around me are doing just the same. Life is changing - becoming different, but nothing new - just new to us. This is exciting. This is that nervous excitement and antsy-ness. The future may be rushing towards me but my sense of relativity has caught up. My feet are on the ground and I am good were I am.

Comments