NYC FOR A MINUTE.

Last weekend I packed up a few carry-on and caught a flight to the big city - NYC. I packed a buddy in my pocket.


Christy made this little guy for me when we were in France. He is smaller than the big guys she made, per my request, and stuffed with wonderful smelling lavender. Every time I took my hand out of my coat pocket I got a wonderful whiff. I stayed in Brooklyn with the magnificent Despina. She lives on a road nicknamed baby slope due to the obscene number of children being toted, pushed, and dragged around. One morning I counted seven children within view of the apartment at once. Crazy. On my first trip to NYC back in high school my mother commented on the lack of children in the city - well, they were all hiding in Brooklyn.


Des was a great hostess. She put up with my getting lost on the metro system - numerous times - and showing up at 2:30am one night. She has a great "no worries" spunky attitude that I am so grateful for. I seriously had a problem navigating.


We trudged around even on the cold rainy nights. We even shared her umbrella. It sure was wet but the weather improved greatly by the end of the weekend.


This is Jade. She is the dog of Des' no longer roommate (being that she ended her short-term lease and headed back to sunny Florida today.) Jade was such a sweety with a tail that whips as great as the Stellanator's. I'm not sure that Stella would love the city as much as she loves running free in a backyard like here in Indiana. The city is the concrete jungle and Stella loves a good patch of lawn to stretch out on - like her mistress.


There sure where many many buildings. And sometimes, sometimes I could even see the sky. The clouds where lovely. Too often I get so distracted by where my feet are going that I forget to look up and see what is always there.


I may have learnt to be a master parallel parker (take that lady who flunked my driving test for a prior deficiency) but I don't think I could ever do it THIS well. It looked like this on both sides. Crazy. It also describes the situation of everything else here.


Though I am not such a fan of the scenery of NYC I cannot complain about availability. This is Strand bookstore. There are three floors of books stacked so high you need a good sized ladder to reach many of them. There are eighteen miles of books, so their slogan says. The are used and good priced. I trekked to this place circa Union Station twice during my stay. If only... They also sold moleskins at a quarter off the retail value. Nice.


The wonderful Lexi joined Des and I in the city Friday afternoon. This girl so cute and sweet. Makes any gloomy day more fun. She and I are great shopping companions - we go at the same rate and can spend way too much time in the Craft and Cooking sections. She may be the culprit of my current love of the whimsical, girliness I remember from my childhood.


That rediscovered fondness is also the reason I love the flower stops in the city. You can buy a bunch of roses on any corner. That is fab. The pretty purple ones smelled soooo good.


Fun overload was stopping in Fishs Eddy. They had great dishes and all tableware you could ever hope to entertain with or enjoy a quite morning sipping from. Any point of dismay that I had no way of returning with treasure. Their stationary line is so fun as well as the roosters. Barnyard animals make drinking oj more fun.


And then after a whirlwind weekend with wonderful ladies I whisked off and flew back to Indiana. Just in time to catch all my flights and miss the nasty windstorm passing below me and just in time to settled down for the wonders of winter.

Comments