OH, SO LUXURIOUS.

Upon the city of Savannah once more is Film Festival Week. Tonight was its opening ceremonies and parties and whatnot.

I worked today - this morning. After opening the store I was sent down to River Street and dropped off with two coolers of ice cream to serve 300 girl scout and their parents. It was a completely terrifying and amazing experience. I watched these kids and remembered how much I hated being that age (elementary school). But then I see the two best friends and one has a broken arm and the other pulls her jacket up for her because she doesn't know it slipped. Then there is this other little white-blondie with a great red sweater on over her oversized t-shirt with the best smile - so happy to just attempt cartwheels and dance with her dad. And those are the kind of children I hope someday I have the privilege of raising. Not the forty other girls that get the mint chocolate chip because it is what the friend is eating.

Now flash-forward to back at the shop. I'm washing dishes. I notice some people come in so I go to join the other girls scooping at the counter. As usual the question is: Which is better coffee chip or mocha chip? I leave it up to taste test as usual. Now I am serving SCAD's lifetime acheivement honoree Malcolm McDowell a double scoop coffee and chocolate ice cream with two spoons. He is getting hammered left and right with autograph inquiries which he graciously accepts and ever so politely endures. Meanwhile, as I see it, he may be a bit famous but he is also just another customer and personally I would just as easily loved to scoop for a great big family of little ones or a couple celebrating the fiftieth that used to get sundaes back at the old store when they where going steady.

I love that. The little stories - that's the stuff, the guts, of life. This evening I had a wonderful Italian dinner with dear Christy, Gabby, Tom (Christy's main dude), and Jimmy (Christy and Tom's film chum from NYC). We ate at a restaurant that I had never been to and it was very nice. I think I did not appreciate the moment enough. Afterwards we thought it would be so nice to go to the after-party for the filmfest opening - a heavily guarded pass only thing. After much scheming that plan was abandoned and I headed home.

At home I am ever so graciously greeted by my dear Stella, whom I have abandoned a majority of the day - but she isn't bothered one bit and is still ever so ecstatic to see me. Now I get comfortable on my newly acquired and remodeled couch. I open my new Domino and it begins in on an issue about luxury. How appropriate. The editorial summed up conversation Christy and I have been having for months now. And as I sat currled up on my newly linen covered feather perch with Stella curled up at my feet, I thought just how luxurious and wonderful this very moment was. I thought of the wonderful moments I am offered everyday to enjoy.

-a young girl tugging her dear friend's jacket back on.
-parents dancing with their children.
-a baby's amusement with a taster spoon.
-calling my mother only to be greeting by a voice I new instantly to be my Grandma
-a beautiful candlelit dinner with dear friends and a complete stranger turned friend.
-welcoming Mrs. Leopold back to the East coast.
-Stratton offering to sneak me into the after party.
-Savannah at night.
-those who put up no fight when I say I need to go home that very instant to rescue my puppy.
-my couch in my living room.
-this song theming my entire day.

Comments