SOME INSIGHT.

This Janell's account of the night her house was destroyed from the tornado.

Well that night, Jessica, Travis, and I were watching a movie called the Illusionist. Around 10:00 p.m. the electricity went out, and we thought it was hailing so we went out side, and noticed it was just raining really bad and kinda windy. So we sat in our living room trying to see what WNDU was saying about the storm, but we couldn't cause the satillite was out. Well no longer than 5 minuets late the sirens went off, and Travis didn't know what it was, until he remembered me describing it earlier that day. My parent ran out of the bedroom and my dad grabbed the police scanner and right as he turned it on the dispatcher said 1350 and 19 TORNADO! I will never forget the fear in the dispatchers voice. But when my dad heard that he yelled for us to go in their bedroom closet, right as my dad closed the door, the tornado hit our home, my dad was holding the door with all his strength because the winds where trying to pull the door out. I just remember holding on to Joscelyne and Travis holding me down and the house started to shake. My ears started to pop really bad and I heard a noise kinda like a freight train, like people always say...but its true it sounds just like one. When it was over my dad couldn't get the door open at first, once he did he told all of us not to be upset, thats when I knew the house was damaged really bad. We walked out, all I could smell is the wood and dust from our house. The roof in my parents room was caved in. When I walked into the hallway I could feel alot of wind and I noticed the roof was gone in the living room. There was glass every where, and wood, just everything you could think of was in our house. After I found a pair of my work shoes and everyone elses shoes we went outside and our neighbors were screaming for us, to make sure we where ok. I also notice our garage was completly gone, and my car was under a bunch of wood. Our shed was also gone in the backyard. There was a pick up truck in our backyard. When we where outside I heard the gas hissing and could smell the gas too. It was really scary outside, I thought it was creepy how the sky was clear and you could see every single star in the sky. So thats how we knew the tornado came after the storm. But, a couple hours later our cousin took Travis to his home, and took me and my family to my Grandma and Grandpa's home, thats where we are living now, but we are moving into Northside Manor Apartments on 19 on Friday or Saturday. We will probably live there for a few months until they have our house built again, I forgot to say they are tearing down what was left of the house. That night Travis's car was destroyed and my car was totalled but still driveable. I am very thankful me and my family and travis made it out okay, I know God was looking after us and everyone in Nappanee. Keep us in your prayers.

Comments