AHHH, PARIS.

Yes, the city of lights was amazing. I saw everything the streets had to offer. I saw only one museum exhibit, deciding to gather my thoughts from the life going on around me. To take in the people and place, to see the fleeting moment rather than what will be there in the same position for years to come.

Wednesday was Ash Wednesday and it just so happened to be when I saw Notre Dame. It was amazing. The tiles are black and white. One is higher than the other because they have worn a different rates. People lite candles and ashed their foreheads.

The hotel was nothing special. Actually not great.

Wednesday we where taken to see an exhibit of decorative arts mainly for the textile and fashion section. But that section was closed and all there was too much to see on a tired mind. Sat at cafe outside on street for two hours in recovery. I think that was the point when I decided I would not be seeing anymore exhibits during the trip. It is a very tiring thing to go to museums and I would not remember everything or assimilate it because of all the stimulation anyway.

Fondu for supper. And to bed for the weary. A long day.

Thursday, a very busy day. Early in the morning we went to a design firm named Prelle. It is a weaving/textile place. In exhistance since 17 century. They mostly specialize in historic recreations now days. Recently they did the fabric for Marie Antionette. Back in the day their company had originally made all the fabric for the queen and because of their amazing record keeping they created all the textiles to redo the room for the film. And also there are some designers that request fabrics from them. Very interesting and beautiful.

Lunch at a Japonese place with our interpreter Jeffery. (he was a trained chef so he knew all the great places)

In the afternoon we went to an exposition (that is what exhibitions are called - exhibition means you are going to do a strip tease for them). This was the release of the latest trends from a trend forcaster Li Edelkoort. The forecasting was for the 08-09 winter season. There presentation was visual media one. A short slideshow with mixtures of textures, photographs, and music to evoke a specific feeling. It was very well done and pretty much amazing. A step away from brainwashability. A very good show - very decore magazine. The studio is also responsible for Bloom magazine and Trend Union (maybe a name to ring a bell for you design nerds (Kat)).

Marie and I walked back and where able to experience a bit of rain. (other girls took taxis) This was great for exploration and seeing a nice rainy sunset.

Everyone went to have fun until wee morning hours but I utilized my time sleeping.

Friday Fibers had no scheduled events so I wondered the city and took it all in. Sat in the park for a long while, saw the Pantheon, shopping some, San Francisco Book Co., experience city from a ground level.

Napped for a few minutes.

Ate Gyro for supper, met the Industrial Design crew for a trip to Tour Effiel. We arrived at 11pm too late for a trip to top. But it was amazing and beautiful and all lite up. Cold wind. Road metro back (that is how we got there). Sat outside talking with Carrie (id) and Kip while the rest of the crew had a couple brews inside. Kip is with the crew from the company the id people are working with. The company is called Kicker and they are a speaker company hoping to gain strength in the European market. id has been doing a lot of research for them. Sleep was needed and granted.

Saturday morning we had a studio visit with an artist name Sheila Hicks. She specializes in large installation art. An insightful woman. Her persentation style was informal (made us all find a place to sit). Pulled out peices of her work and there were discussed in context and materials evaluated. Very hands on visit. She then decided it was time for cafe and so we all joined her for afternoon tea and meal at a cafe around the corner. It would be very interesting to apprentice with her in the future.

Then the afternoon was ours to experience. Marie and I off for more adventures. Went to shopping district (mayham). Found a vintage store that was huge and extensive. I bought one thing - a cameo for carrie (id as mentioned before). She had been looking for one and they were very epensive (70+ euro and this was 10).

H&M of course. Different than others. More things.

Dehydration ensued. Water and sitting was next. Sat in a Park in Paris France. Made us to think of the Joni Mitchell song so it was necessary to listen to it on iPod. Also earlier that day I was able to use my pod to show Sheila Hicks the slideshow of our work and experiences in Lacoste. very useful tool.

Supper was at a vegetarian restaurant. Server guy was very into me and kept standing very close to me and telling me things in french and english that I could not understand and was very repulsed by. Icky. This was not the only time I experienced this. The day desk man at the hotel would often be very friendly and would say things like "it will cost you 100 kisses." These French men - my daddy warned me about them. I'll stick to no one.

After dinner Amelia, Marie and I (we had eaten together) went to Shakespeare and Co. They are open from 12noon to 12am. Very good bookstore hours. It was an interesting place. I liked.

Talked to night desk guy at hotel for a while. He was nice. A columbian studying Spanish Liturature in Paris. Conversation was sparked by his computer. It was the same black MacBook I have and was running Windows. I had forgotten about that capability. So if I had to use Windows for a program I could. He was using to watch tv because of a football game on.

Last day, Sunday. Marie and I woke up early (7:30am) got checked out, stashed our stuff, and ran off to a flea market. It was very large and very crowded. The wind was harsh as well as the prices. Many, many things. I prefer my antique malls. Especially when my best antiquing buddies are along.

We were cold. Jumped back on a train and walked from there to we dont' know where. Finally found a coffee shop to rest and warm up in. They had a Mocha Java. France doesn't do the chocolate in their coffee like I love. (don't tell anyone but the night I went to the Effiel I got a mocha latte from Starbucks. It was REALLY good, unfortunatly it upset my stomach - I do believe I've developed a lactose intolerance from not drinking milk) But I had that Java Cafe from MALONGO and it was good. Then I had Jasmine tea and it was really good.

Back to wondering we saw a very good tea house sign so we went in and I bought the most amazing two flavors a Morrocan blend and Jasmine and a book about French tea. It was beautiful. J'aime the. (I love tea).

Wondered to the park I had been at before it was very nice. There was a public restroom which cost 40 cents - but worth it. Marie brought up an interesting point. In France you have to pay to use the public restrooms but the government pays for all schooling and healthcare.

Food was our next goal. Of course we where a bit hungry but wanted to find a good, unFrench, vegetarian-friendly place. So we just walked until we did. And boy was that worth it. An asian place where you by the food by the kilogram. We just ended up getting the same things and splitting the food so it cost only 6 euro each (a very good price). Food in Paris is not reasonable.

After food we headed back to the river and made the final stop Shakespeare and Co. I got some used books to read for the train. But of couse didn't get very far and most likely won't read them. Maybe one if I'm good. I haven't read my book for the quarter yet.

Slept throught the ride on the TGV and we where back in Lacoste four hours later. A good trip. Paris is Paris.

Slept more and now I am ready to go. I've got to kick out some projects now. Next Friday is our expostion and we have invited a ton of folks (including Picasso's reletive, and John Malcovich and Johnny Depp - though I doubt any of them will show up). I'm developing an idea for peices involving tea.

Okay, pictures to come.

Comments

Post a Comment