techer tech talk [part 2]

I jumped into the concept of making in my classroom last year. With my art background, I remember the impact of being able to incorporate creativity had on my own learning process. I was able to witness this in both classrooms where I student taught. There is a powerful learning dynamic that happens when exploration is allowed, encouraged, and facilitated.  I knew I certainly wanted this for my classroom, but finding how to do that during my first year experience was a challenge.

When the year began and we were still in the process of learning each other, step-by-step group projects were necessary. These mostly involved paper and glue using only the tools I inherited with the classroom.

As the year progressed, I found positive results with student-driven, skill-differentiated making. These required more project-specific supplies to be purchased. Acquiring supplies in the village can be a challenge in both planning and logistics. Fortunately, I had a nice team with my mom and brother Sam sending requested supplies. This required a few weeks of advanced planning and backup planning when mail was late. Shifting to student-driven making also required for me to be patient and accept that what a student deems appropriate material usage might be slightly different from my own thoughts. But this was also where discovery, creativity, and calm focus could be found.

As I prepare for bringing making into my classroom next year, I look forward to exploring the ideas of  Vanderwerff (2015), as I try “integrating making in the curriculum” and work to develop a more “making-focused curriculum.” In considering how to facilitate making more heavily throughout my classroom, a few ideas for materials come to mind.

First, I think there is something very important about procuring and using materials that students would have access to in their daily lives. Using simple materials, found natural objects, and/or reused items lets students play with the idea of constraints that Vanderwerff (2015) sets forth: “all creativity needs restraints.”

Second, I also think that it is important to present materials that are more project specific and special for the making experience in our classroom. To do that I am interested in trying Donor’s Choice or looking for supply grants. Exposing students to new materials is also highly valuable for exploration and greater understanding. 

Sources:
Vanderwerff, A. (2014, May 14). Makers in the Classroom: A How-To Guide. Retrieved June 29, 2016, from https://www.edsurge.com/news/2014-05-14-makers-in-the-classroom-a-how-to-guide

Comments

  1. I love your suggestion of using natural objects and reusing items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring up a really excellent point in using local, natural, or recycled materials so our students can continue to make on their own in their own space without having to beg for supplies. It will give students, especially older students, that autonomy they so crave while also fueling their creativity and drive. Special projects in school are AWESOME, and definitely valuable, but there's something to be said about making making sustainable in a student's own life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the great idea I gleaned from the readings this week was the how making really highlights the similarities between artistic and scientific ways of thinking. I know you mentioned this idea at the conference and you also focus on your art background in this post. It seems to me that making is something that art educators have been 'on to' for a very long time and I love the idea of bringing it to the other subject areas.
    More to the point of this post, I think allowing students to see connections to their own lives and demonstrating how creative thinking can be valuable to them will allow you to sustain making in your classroom and make the learning meaningful.
    -I

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon,
    I'm so interested in your emphasis in creativity and art. It can be a real challenge for rural educators to integrate art into lessons given the additional responsibilities, expectations, minimal support and access to supplies and other challenges. One additional resource you might be interested in exploring is the 21st Century Creativity Fluency. You can check it out here: https://globaldigitalcitizen.org/21st-century-fluencies/creativity-fluency It offers you a great guidebook for teaching students how to implement a thought process for fostering creativity. I used to grapple with the idea of teaching creativity but after applying the fluencies in my classroom and seeing students develop their own thought processes and become creative thinkers and problem solvers I was sold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Simplers. Glad you like it.

    Thanks for the thoughts, Brittnay. Thinking about it, isn't it the goal of education in general to be applicable in life? It only seems logical that we learn this way whenever possible.

    Isaac, I am beginning to see how the creative process and scientific process are one in the same. We make observations, ask questions, have an idea, experiment/make/create, synthesize/draw conclusions, and share with others. Thank you for helping me bring that thought forward.

    That's a great resource, Nicole. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment