cells, cells

The year began with a basic schedule.  It had been put together for me, which I was extremely grateful to have someone else's input.  It also came with the advice of tweaking and switching things around that didn't quite work.  

As the year went on I found that Science was the subject that wasn't quite working.  It was right after lunch and just made for a really tough time to transition and refocus.  After a week or so I decided redirect and move reading to after lunch and science to before lunch.  It has made a noticeable difference and have been able to actually get through most of the information. 

I have also moved away from the idea of learning directly from the book and am trying to involve tactile learning experiences.  These students learn by doing.  It is also way more fun for me.

 First up on our agenda was cells.  Using a great diagram I found on-line, I drew up the key parts that are learned in the fifth grade.

 Then, for simplicity's sake, I went ahead and copied them all on different colors.  I also printed up labels for each part.

 Then in class I took them through building their cells, organelle by organelle.  I had them label each part and check back in their texts to share with the class what each part's responsibility.

 After they were finished, unfortunately it was on a day were I had quite a few absent, I had them laminated and hung them on our hall bulletin board.  Before the year began I scoffed at lamination.  But now I am a firm believer.  If I want anything to remain intact for longer than one day, it gets laminated.

 The next day we made animal cells and were able to discuss their similarities and differences.

I really wanted to hit the cells home so I took it one step further and made jello cells.  Cytoplasm is quite often compared to jello. 

 Animal cells were orange, I would not recommend the oreo nucleus.  Be aware that the dye from candies (like I used) will leach off into the jello.  

 As we dissected the cells, starting with the animal cells, we made note of all the parts.  It was also noted what parts were missing that should be in the cells.

The cups were the cell walls and I bad plastic wrap on the inside to represent the cell membrane.

It was a pretty memorable way to wrap up cells.  After discussing tissues, organs, and organ systems it is now time to solidify organ system knowledge.  I am thinking we make some life-size organ systems tomorrow. 

Comments