Fern turns two

It's four o'clock on a Monday.
This Monday just happens to be one of my only "free" moments for the next week.

The skies are blue, air is crisp and just starting to smell like the falling leaves of autumn.
Here I sit, trying to list through my pile of need to do items and all that comes out is keep sitting here or take a nap [took the nap].

This was my last Monday at my temporary position.  Next Monday the teacher will return and I will be packing.

Back to the week before me.  It will bring four more days of school, three more evenings of serving.  Sam & Laura, Josiah, and Zachary are all coming home for the weekend.  I have some space to prepare for their arrival.  It will be a lovely weekend complete with a girls' morning out, family dinner and group photo.  Plus, a million other wonderful moments that result from bringing the family together.

This past weekend I managed to get away for a while.  

Friday afternoon Mom and I hopped in the car and took off northward!

It was my favorite Michigan state flower's second birthday.

We spent Saturday roaming around Traverse City.  We dodged raindrops at a sweet Makers Market on the State Hospital grounds. 


 Fern got some really good shopping done at Oryana.  

 We checked out the nifty rain-covered plants.  Isn't her hat the sweetest?

 Maggy got fueled up with an amazing drink made with Shetler's milk.

 Maggy made Fern's birthday dress.

We spent time exploring downtown Traverse City.  There were so many interesting shops and the atmosphere really reminded me of Savannah. 

 We gave Mom a tour of Bachman's store in downtown.  Fern knows how to relax.

 Maggy raises flowers and produce to sell at the local farmers market.  I love that her kitchen was full of the cuts of the day.  Homegrown flowers are the best.

Sunday morning took us to Brownwood.

 We unashamedly filled up on donuts and good company sitting watching Mar pour out another dozen on the fryer.  Seeing donuts made gives both Mom and I the warm fuzzies.

 We took a good stroll around Brownwood, picked up some Zotz and a monogramed glass.  I also found a few new silk scarves at the flea market.
 We stopped at King's Orchard on the way back to the farm for the freshest Gala apples I've ever had.  We took a bag home.

Maggy and Fern took Mom and I on a good farm tour.  We got to see the back acres and all the good stuff.  It is such a beautiful time of year.

Maggy sent me home with a good stash of the preserves.  Her salsa is the best I've ever had.  She grills the veggies first to lock in the flavor and leaves them chunky.  That is just perfect for a scooper like myself.

I am so grateful that I have been able to escape away to visit with Maggy and her family this year.  I realized that I've had a good four visits in this year which is and has been incredible.  There is just nothing like spending time with a dear friend and kindred spirit that knows your soul.  To be able to watch her little one grow and to see her growing as a mothers is just beautiful.  I am so grateful and blessed.  It was so special to get to share her with my own mother on this trip.

Mom and I stopped at the town grocery on the way out and picked up a stash of Michigan goodies and sat around the kitchen enjoying them with the brothers and ladies when we got home.  It was the perfect end to a magnificent weekend.

Comments

  1. You document our time so well! It was every bit as beautiful and fun as you made it sound and look. It was such a joy (and ALWAYS is!) having you and your mom. Please please don't stay away long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You three fill my heart with joy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment