gray day

To say this morning was slow going would be an understatement.  As I was getting dressed it started to downpour.  Normally, I like a good rain-shower but I'm fairly certain it has rained more days than been sunny.  As I sat and stared out the window at the rain I thought about the nine block walk to the station and the umbrella I had left in the coat closet at work.  Pulling on my rain boots, I threw a scarf over my head and stepped out in my commute.

 The thing about rain is that everyone else is in the same boat.  When it rains in New York everyone gets wet - I felt a sense of camaraderie as I looked upon the other half soaked subway passengers.


Unfortunately, the rain set a sort of tone for the day.  It was just quite and gray.  Then something happened.  

The mail came.

I was expecting a package with some important papers from home but tucked inside the very dull package was this little bubble wrapped package.

As kids, the brothers and I would BEG mom for candy in the check out lane and Chiclets was the one item we could usually get her to relent.  The package was full of tiny pieces and easy enough for all of us to share a few.  

Finding the little package in my envelope was just what the doctor ordered.  Suddenly, things were not quite as gloomy as I popped a handful of nostalgia into my mouth and got a good two minutes of chewing time before the "gum" had solidified into grey tar.  When that happened I just popped in a few more.

[thanks mom and dad!]

Comments