see what sews

Last week I began a sewing project.  With my more recent transient lifestyle I had yet to retrieve my sewing machine from the safe and loving home of Lexi's grandparents on Long Island. 

I do love a  bit of hand-stitching.  There is nothing like it.  When a beautiful Saturday rolled around I decided enough is enough.  So I packed up an overnight bag and headed East.

I caught the LIRR to Babylon.  All the while I was amazed at how the landscape had transformed from that first day in New York and my first LIRR trip.

The once budding trees now have full-fledged leaves.  And there are bugs.

Before supper we wandered around the back yard a bit - admiring its lush quality and the neighbors roses.

A drive with Lexi down a dark highway was exactly what the doctor ordered.  There is nothing like streetlights shining through the trees to light your way.

We admired how tender the new leaves still were.  It is amazing how they will toughen up through the summer and the sunshine. 

Sunday I said adieu to dear Lexi as she dropped me at the train station.  We had such a great visit.  In the last few months we have become such life cheerleaders for one another.  How lucky I am.

I decided it would be easier to transport my machine sans box.  I was glad I did because my arms were about ready to fall off by the time I trained home from Penn Station.  There has been a lot of construction on the subways lately and the train I usually ride was off for the evening.  I couldn't put it down because the jostle of the train would not be good for its guts so the entire trip it either hung from my arms or sat on my lap.

Once I got it set up and purring the pains of travel quickly subsided.  It has had quite a trek - first coming to New York via Indianapolis and Maryland with Aunt Patti, then out to Long Island, and now to Greenpoint. 

I've got a good project underway but you will just have to wait a few weeks to see it.  I will tell you that I am using some silks for the first time.  They have a life of their own.

Comments