wandering weekend

It is true that after the last few days I feel more like a vagabond than anything else.  I'm sleeping in my fourth bed in as many days tonight.  I am ever so grateful for every single one of those kindly offered pillows but wandering has begun to wear me down.

Friday I caught an evening train back into the City.
It was nearly 11pm by the time I caught up with Lance.

We met in Columbus Circle.  The walk to get there from the station was quite sweet - plenty of couples hand in hand on evening strolls by the park.  Lance took me to Bar Nine (where on many evenings he can be found as the host and event coordinator and soon to be karaoke dj) and I met many of his sweet friends.  Everyone was quite welcoming.  We enjoyed a yummy bite to eat.

By the time we made it out the door it was raining and so we cabbed it back to his place for a good chat and some sleep.

 The next morning it was still raining as we trekked through Central Park.

 [ I do believe the rose arbor in the background was the subject of photographing on one the yearbook expeditions to the City.]
  Robbie Burns reminding me of Pamela and Henry and infamous Robert Burns day in Cafe des Artists.  And of course Robbie, too.

Naturally, I had to stop and send some flowers to my mom.  (Lance took the black and white photo of me.)

 Fountains and the reflecting pond in front of Lincoln Center and Julliard.

 Our destination was the American Folk Art Museum.  I had noticed their posters on the walls of the subway stations the evening before and knew I had to make a stop.

It was just a small museum with three short halls.  It was perfect.  One thing I learned from all the museums visited abroad - it is important to pace oneself as to prevent museum fatigue.

This museum has to be one my favorites.  In school I was quite saddened by the lack of attention paid to textiles in art history classes but this museum had equal parts of everything.

  This stitching was the accomplishment of a twelve year old.  Dad - you might recognize this from Antiques Roadshow (Lance said he saw something similar on it at one time).  It is all silk.

  This is a crazy quilt and the only thing known about it is that Ella did it in 1922.  What makes it so different is that it is slightly past the popular time period for this Victorian Era trend.  It is also highly unusual to be done in such dark colors.  Generally, crazy quilts included lots of bright velvets and silks with golden stitching.  This one is quite pared down.

  The pattern of this piece knocked my socks off.

  Dorothy Yaffe Frank stitched this walk hanging in 1968 and it was given to the museum by her daughter.  Dorothy had worked on it in secret over a period of four years and it depicts the history of her family and is so detailed that there is a tiny beaded purse on it that actually opens.  I think I might have to go back and give this one another look.

 Lance found inspiration in a Untitled pen and ink piece by Japanese artist Hiroyuki Doi.

 After our dose of inspiration we walked down to the Garment District where Lance took me to his favorite trim shop - M&J Trimming.

I've been to quite a few trim shops but this one takes the cake.  Just anything you can possible image they have.  Of course the lace, sequins and buttons were a bit overwhelming.


After all our wandering we had to take a break.  In an Argo tea (fond memories Kat and Abby) we sat for a good while to rest our well tread feet.  I did a little sketch of the window next door. 

We then parted ways on the subway as I headed uptown to dine with the Fathers and Miss MM.  After a delicious dinner we had two games of Euchre.  Both of which MM and I won!  I think that is first.  Now it's true that the second game was against first time players but both were pretty close until the end.

This morning I headed out to Brooklyn.
 
The redbuds are in bloom.  I am grateful to have transplanted to a new home that has nearly the same familiar plants of Indiana.

 Families were out and about enjoying an overcast Sunday afternoon.

My dear friend Kendall has opened her apartment up to me for the week while she is out of town.  I am grateful for the Brooklyn perch.

 The upstairs balcony has a killer view of Manhattan.

I have been having so many great adventures that I am having to remind myself to rest and allow recovery time from all the new experiences and activities.  Tomorrow is a new week - full of possibilities.

Though I am a few minutes late - HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOSIAH!!!  Twenty-two years ago Josiah surprised the family with his early arrival and he has kept us on our toes ever since.  My dear red-head - I love you so.

Comments

  1. look at all those sequins. you must have been thrilled ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment