on the pavement

Lexi and I caught a morning train into the City - bright and early.

 We were off and wandering in no time.  First we stopped in SOHO.

 With a cup of hot tea in my mitts and the sun on my face we lingered in a little green-space between streets.

 Then we headed uptown for lunch with Lexi's big brother CJ.  We ate a place called Duke's that has just about any food you can think of - including raw crackers!  There were so many men in suits there.  So many.

 With a second cup of tea in hand we headed a couple blocks up to Central Park.  On a bench we took in the warm sun to balance out the bitter wind and admitted our disbelief to be in such a place.

 I was smitten with the Snow drops.

 We wandered past the skating rink that the movie Serendipity made known to me.

 The forsythias were in high bloom.  I missed getting a good picture of them in Indiana and so I was terribly happy to see they were still in bloom here.  I just love them.  I especially love when they are allowed to be big and wild instead of trimmed like box hedges.

 We wandered down the isle of Elms and like much of New York I enjoyed and was amazed by their tallness.

 I remembered this covered walkway in front of the Bethesda Fountain.  I think it was eight years prior that I stood under the beautiful frescoes and mosaics with my mom and high school yearbook staff.

 By the lake we found a place to sit at the water's edge and were greeted by many water fowl.  I loved spying on the people out rowing boats - add that to my list of future experiences.

 This big flowering trees were STUNNING!  I liked to shake them a little so it would snow petals.  Are they crab apple trees?  Do you know Mom?

 Wild and wonderful - I can't wait to see this arbor as summer comes.

From the park we caught a train uptown into Harlem and St. Joseph's Friary where we met up with Aunt Patti and the Flecher Family.  They came to town to celebrate the 40th birthday of Father Luke who lives at St. Joseph's.  There are twelve Brothers and Postulants who live there.  Lexi and I had such a great evening with them.  We were able to attend prayer hour - which felt so good to have an hour of prayers, recitation, and silent reflection.  After prayer hour we had a family dinner around there big table.  Lexi and I with Father Luke's six family members, and twelve Brothers!  It was fabulous.  If you think the Telschow table is ruckus you've never eaten with the Brothers.  There are so friendly and joyful.  I could just see the light on their faces and very much enjoyed their company.

 It was YUBRA!  Remember Megan from Rachel & Josh getting married?  In the background are her brothers Tim and Father Luke.  Megan is an amazing photographer and is going to be visiting in the city going out to shoot in the Burroughs.  I'm hoping to meet back up with this great lady.

 After dinner, we piled in Friary van and Father Luke took us downtown.  We drove down Broadway and into Time Square.  

During this whole drive Father Gabrielle so kindly held my Bernina on his lap.  Aunt Patti had brought my sewing machine out east with her and they managed to find space for it in their filled-to-the-brim van.  I was so grateful to have it in good hands.  It weights about thirty pounds and is in a rather large box so when Father Luke dropped Lexi and I at Penn Station I was very glad to only have to carry it through one station and on one train ride.

I also sent a suitcase full of notions with the machine - I super happy to have all of my tools!

What a great first day in the City!  I am so blessed to know such amazing and wonderful people and to have the opportunity to meet other amazing and wonderful people through those friendships.

Comments