enjoy the age

Friday night started out right. This weekend was not one I spent home with my yarns.

After feeding the pups, I headed over to Rachel's house to begin the birthday celebration of our cousin Laura's 21st with a delicious supper. Rachel and Aunt Patti made yubra. Yubra is one of the few dishes that stray me from my vegetarian tendencies. It's traditional Lebanese dish and the love of it has been instilled into Rachel, Josh, Whitney and I thanks to Aunt Patti.

Julie, Rachel's little sister and Laura's bestie, whipped up a delicious chocolate vegan cake.  Apparently, the frosting was made with almond butter.  (I want the recipe!)

Following dinner we took festivities to the local, and my favorite, watering hole, a Constant Spring.  I like to mark 21st birthdays with a spot of Gin.  The morning I turned 21 I was in Tulsa with Rachel at her older sister Joanna's apartment.  We were in town to celebrate Joanna's white coating (to mark her entrance into medical school - she's a doctor now!) and the best bet for my first official drink was a half shot of Gin at 10am.  Since then the saucy liquid has always held a soft spot in my heart.  Laura obliged my customary half shot.  

Fittingly, the evening ended with Rachel, Whitney and I sipping tea back at Rachel's while our 21 companions stayed out to enjoy their age. 

Saturday night there were Christmas festivities at my friend Jacklyn's house.  It was my first trip to her and her hubby's house and those halls were decked.  Lance had been prepping decorations for a week and it was evident.  He never ceases to amaze me with his cleverness and creativity.

The best part of the evening was getting to spend time with my old friends.  Lance, Jordan and I danced for a bit and then just sat on the couch catching up.

Sunday brought a bit more visiting.  This time Stella came along for the ride as I went with Rachel to watch the big game with Whitney.  There was a good fire going and it was so nice to curl up by it as the Bears and Broncos went into over-time.  I've never met a more avid football fan than Whitney.  She has helped me to appreciate/understand the game more and she was terribly excited when the Broncos won with a field goal.  There was jumping and cheering.  She is so cute.

On the way home Rachel and I stopped to visit with Aunt Patti, which was, as usual, quite lovely.

I was surprised, with all the social exploits of my weekend, that I was actually able to chug away at the Christmas Cheer I have been prepping to be mailed out.  All I need are some envelopes and they will be ready to go in no time.

They are even photographed to be added to my portfolio page (and posted once they reach their destinations).  I also added the "postage stamp" bag I made a while back.  Getting those two things photographed feels really good.

Comments

  1. It sounds like a fabulous weekend! I would have love to have enjoyed it with you. If you ever doe get your hands on that vegan chocolate cake recipe I would love a sneak peak :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment