watch the caribou bones

Yesterday was a very windy day.  It was only about 12F but with the wind it felt a lot colder.  12F is a heatwave by the way.  Without trees it is difficult to tell how windy it is.

 This is were the caribou spine comes in handy.  The family found it out walking one day and it has been hanging there ever since.  Amy wants to turn it into a windsock eventually.

With the outdoors being so unwelcoming we had a Sunday afternoon outing to the skating arena.

 I borrowed some skates from the arena...hockey skates.  As you might notice no toe pick! It you have ever watched the '90s "gem" Cutting Edge you may find the humor in that.

 I haven't been ice skating since I was maybe ten years old so it was a bit of a challenge.  Lily showed my how.

 Children have to wear helmets when ice skating.  Maeve just wore her boots.  Both Marcus and Amy are hockey players so they are quite used to the ice.

I certainly gained a new respect for Hockey players after a few laps around the ice.  I'd have to say I'm more partial to activities were no shoes are required.   

Later that evening I went out to shoot some photos for this week's newspaper article.  I am more acquainted with the city now and feel fine navigating through it.  It is not as though it is that big.

 To the left is the edge of the airport and to the right the bay.  The wind was still pretty sharp.

This week's article focuses on transportation, building and homes in Iqaluit.  I had a few questions on the subject and so I went over to Julie's house because her husband Mike is a builder.  They were having dinner guests but told me to come on over anyway.  I was lucky in that because one of the guest is part of the town maintenance and he was able to fill me in on things I hadn't thought to ask.  He and his wife are from Newfoundland.  If you have never spoken to someone from Newfoundland you should definitely put it on your to do list.  It was really interesting sitting at the dinner table.  Mike has a pretty similar accent to mine, Julie is Franco-phone, add that two the couple form Newfoundland and my deciphering skills were working overtime.  It was great.  The group was so much fun and had hilarious stories to share.  We also had the various forms of head trauma explained to us by Micah, also a dinner guest, she is a nurse specializing in trauma.  I learned so much which I hope never comes in handy. And also the importance of helmets. 

It is about twelve, sunny and no wind, so I think this afternoon will being a nice long walk downtown.

Comments

  1. So strange to see a landscape with no trees. I'll have to remember to use some caribou bones as a wind gauge next time I'm short on trees :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment