never have i ever...

...taken my evening walk when it's -6F out.  It was a lovely sunset, I'll share the photos ones my camera defrosts.  That can't be good for it. 

----

Yesterday evening I wanted to see the sunset, it falls just out of view.  After dinner I zipped up the boots, parka, puffy vest, snow pants and hit the snow.  It doesn't take long to find the good view.  



 This is the top of the road.  Pretty soon it will be built into a housing development.  There is a huge housing shortage in Nunavut. There sure is plenty of room for more houses. 
 
 Just some rocky terrain but check out the way the snow has formed coming off the rocks.  You can really tell how the wind blows.

 Moss on the rock.  I actually saw quite a bit of vegetation as I was hopping around on the rocks.  I hadn't really come across much before then because in town most everything is covered in snow and ice.

 Iqaluit in the distance and the frozen bay below that.

 Though in the distance they are not really mountains they are far more mountainous than there are in Wakarusa, so I consider that some beautiful mountain views.

Earlier that day Amy's friend, Julie, and I went to the Museum in town and to the visitor's center following that.  The Museum had a selection of carvings, artifacts, and bones.

I had Maeve with me and Julie had her six month old son Thomas.  He is so cute and sweet as can be.

This is a Northern Bottle-Nose Whale skull without the lower jaw.  It is probably about three feet tall.

 Palm-sized walrus stone carving with ivory tusks.

 These two musk oxen are carved from a whale bone. I did not know that is what whale bone looked like.  So cool.

 At right is a Beluga Whale skull and at left is a walrus skull.  (and below are four Maeve fingers)

The museum and the visitor's center are directly next door to each other so I just walked between the two.  It was nice to be out in the cold air after being in the museum which was super warm.

 On my short walk, I saw this piece of spine laying on the ground.  (ironically close to a cigarette butt)  It is very common to find bones, Julie had one just sitting on the floor in her car, Amy and Marcus have a caribou spine hanging as a windsock on their front porch.

 Carved Walrus tusks at the visitor's center.
 
 And a close-up of that carved Walrus tusk because I think a carved Walrus tusk deserves a close-up especially one as beautifully carved as this one.

 Stuffed Polar Bear.

 The visitor's center had these awesome tapestries hanging.  A community farther north than this one is very well know for their weaving, and I can see why.


They would have to be my favorite northern art work I have seen so far.

This morning Julie and I went to go check out an artist market at the visitors center.  Apparently, it was very exemplary of the culture.  We arrived around 10:30 and the event was to be from 10am-1pm, there were two artists set up.  I believe there were supposed to be at least five.  Being on time is not really important and if something is early than most likely it will not be well attended or people will come later.
After the afternoon yesterday of carrying Maeve, a good idea when taking a two year old to a museum, I decide to take Amy's summer amauti this time.  It worked really well.  Maeve was very well behaved, on both occasions, but having her in the amauti is great.

I think I'll have to find a pattern for it.

Comments