Hope you're not sick of winter yet...

This morning brought yet one more magical moment of winter. Hoarfrost!

"
Radiation frost (also called hoar frost or hoarfrost) refers to the white ice crystals, loosely deposited on the ground or exposed objects, that form on cold clear nights when heat losses into the open skies cause objects to become colder than the surrounding air." -thank you wikipedia

A downtown view. Just look at all those magnificent maples.

Up and close with the crystals formed on my mom's lilacs. When spring comes I will get to enjoy those babies for the first time in years! These are grown into a tree and bloom white.

County Road Three trees. Magnificent!


My lovely Queen Anne's Lace from summer looks ever so lovely and lacy in winter as well.


The Creek. (one of them)

Slushy snow, lovely farms, big patches of forest.

Cold but adequate shoes for standing in roadside sludge. Even the sludge has hoarfrost.

A building downtown.

One of my favorite drives. County Road 38 - through the forested stretch. I wish there were more forested roads. The frost was amazing in here.

The strange thing about the hoarfrost is that is stayed all day. Generally this sort of the thing disappears by noon, but not today. It is almost ghostly. Like a fog lingering all day.

I never really thought of winter as having such a variety...but it does. Every morning I wake up to something new.

Don't worry I'm working on a post that doesn't just talk about the weather. A project I've been working on. Coming soon...

Comments

  1. oh how I miss winter! Savannah just doesn't do it for me--having 70 degree weather in January is weird.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment