IN MY 23rd YEAR OF LIFE...

Last week, when I had my birthday, I began to think what will I do differently now that I am 23? I've come to the conclusion that I will try to become even more local. I have this compulsive binge shopping disorder. Generally, this happens in big chain stores. Afterward, I am left with a horribly sinking feeling that my arms are loaded down with a budget-busting bunch of goods from questionable origin that completely perpetuates senseless consumerism.

One component is origin. When Natalie Chanin spoke at SCAD this past spring she posed the question how badly do you really need that ten dollar shirt? That is the question that runs though my mind every time I dress myself in that six dollar t-shirt(not ten because it's me and I bought in on clearance). I think how many people in slavery did it take to make this? That is not okay.

Next issue. My community is in a tremendous economic downfall. At this point why would I knowingly spend my money - earned through local small business transactions - in a national chain owned by international investors? So my goal is to support those who in a round about way support me. This is the way business occurred before the middle of last century. I like talking to the shop owners. They pour their lives into their companies and the community. I respect that. If I have made the choice not to work for a large company that would outsource my designs to questionable international labor why would I do the same with my daily purchases?

As I am finding out, this all leaves a few doubts. This is all a nice idea but what impact will it make in the long run and is it really a viable lifestyle? I don't know. But I am really enjoying not going to large chain stores. This has given me the opportunity to bypass nasty large parking lots and made me really think out the thing I purchase.

The rubber cement. As I was sitting down to notebook, finally, I thought, wow, I need some rubber cement to do this properly. I knew I need to go to Goshen to pick up a book I had ordered from Better World Books (highly recommended) so I decided to call a few shops to see if they carried what I wanted. Neither of my best guesses did. When I got to downtown Goshen this afternoon I saw that the Hardware store I have always wanted to check out was open. Sure enough they had most every kind of glue one can imagine. There was so much in this tiny little store I found out quite quickly that there would be no more Lowes or Home Depot needed. That was a very good feeling.

My challenge continues. I don't know what the next big issue will be but I have a feeling it may be in the line of art supplies. I am coming to the conclusion that Northern Indiana is in dyer need of a good art supply store, making me miss Primary very much.

All in all, I'm not really sure what sort of impact I can make or if all of my reasoning even adds up. Oh, well.

Comments

  1. Awesome Sharon! Can't wait to hear more about your experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. right on, sister!! glad to hear of your local buying. everyone managed to live just fine before the big box stores rolled in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment