MY DAY WITH KAT.

Last Friday I drove over to Kat's in Illinois. Oh, how I love that girl. She's so great. I was given a good tour of her office (she's in charge of publicity) and her graphic work is all over the walls in the posters she has designed for Olivet.

Our plan was to get up early and catch the 7:40 train to Chicago. Our mission was to be the first one hundred through the door of the Renegade Holiday Craft Fair and get a goodie bag! We were up before the sun. It was a little snowy when we first started out but that was in Kat's parking lot and we figured that everything else should be plowed. So we thought.

I was manning the iPod, she had the wheel. First we listened to Regina, then Sufjan and then we were just getting to the appropriate song Chicago by Sufjan. And suddenly Kat's iPod had a panic attack and stopped working. The music was gone. It was okay silence and conversation is never a problem. Kat's at the wheel, I'm side seat. We're in the far right lane of a divided two-lane-on-each-side highway. Kat veers a little.

"Sorry," she says. Suddenly, we veer again, she tries to correct. At that moment we both realize that she doesn't have control of the car. She tries to regain. Hands at 10 and 2. But then we both realize she can't. We are fishtailing at 55mph. Suddenly, we are off the road.

"I'm sorry, I love you," Kat, calm silence with the world flying by.

"It's okay," me. We are in the median ditch, still flying. POW! pain.

We are stopped. Bad smelling something.

"Are you okay," Kat.

"Yeah, I thinks so, get out of the car,"

We jumped out. As I stood in the median of the highway I thought we're okay, I'm alive!

We had landed facing the lanes of traffic we just veered from with our bumper on the edge of the on-coming lane. The airbags had deployed because of our hitting the ditch at such an angle. And we had also hit three poles (the only three verticle things in the road for hundreds of feet) and they were all taken out. But they have us just enough force to put a slight spin on the car, keep us from arriving in on coming traffic, and stop the car.

The car was thrashed at the front left wheel and had grass every which way. It had to be towed. We were fine aside from the force of the airbags. Apparently, as Rachel would inform me later, airbags deploy at a rate of 35-200 mph. That much force pounded me square in the face (directly at the nose to be exact) and got Katherine at little lower because she is a bit higher than I. A awful rug-burn of sorts had scrapped a layer of skin off her chin. She had also evidently bit her lips and had kissers the size of Angelina Jolie to which she retorted she did not realize why anyone would get collegian injections.




We also found out, as we were sitting in the State Trooper's car, at least a dozen other accidents occurred at the same time. As well as an eight car pile up. A couple car's flipped and as far as I know two of the accidents proved fatal.

We went back to Kat's house for a bit of recovery with Love Actually. I also found the apple which I had put in my coat pocket for a snack later. I guess it had a run-in with my keys during all this.



It was still delicious.


Comments

  1. O my word Sharon. I'm so glad you two are ok. Reading that post was terrifying. You come back to Georgia all in one piece, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha.... that's probably how i would've retold the tale. with the same links and everything.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment