stella: my shadow, my heart

companion and friend
four legs yet no less human
Stella we'll miss you
-Rachel Thomas

This weekend, with Liz out of town, the house has been quiet.  Yesterday, it hit me that this was the first time I had been alone in our house for more than an hour or so.  All the busy-ness of life has been keeping my mind from wandering to that place where I miss my pup so very much.  Boy, do I ever.

I thought maybe today I would share some of our great adventures.  In loosing her company I have chosen to focus on the adventures we packed in during our eight years together.  I am so grateful for every single one of them.

The first summer Stella came home to Indiana with me.

2007.  Her first Thanksgiving after the I'm Thankful Four.

 Tea with Ms. Lexi, my senior year at SCAD in our house in Savannah.

 With Sam, working on the barn for Rachel and Josh's wedding.

 Her reward for such hard work, thanks Uncle Sam.

 Texting Laura.


 Her favorite.

 A late night conversation with Jason.

 A birthday smooch from Momma.

 A most memorable walk, back when Rachel lived in Goshen and life was smaller.

 Typical afternoon with Fred.

 One of her other favorite places, perched overlooking the garden next to Jason.

 Smooching Rachel, before I moved to New York.


 With Sam, the summer before he married Laura.

 Needing attention on the couch, as usual.

 Laying on her quilt.  The first quilt I ever made was because I missed Stella so much while in France.

 One morning before school, Zachary's senior year.

 Helping Lewis with yoga.

 Namaste.

 My pillow.

 Snuggled with Josiah.

As in life, sometimes you envision a future that takes a turn.  I always envisioned Stella being a fantastic baby dog and playing with my children.  I am so very grateful she got to prove herself as a baby dog with Eurydice and her friends.

 There was love and patience.

 Snuggled with Julie last summer.

 Her other biggest fans, my parents.  Here they are at Cannon Beach in 2014.  It took me two months before I fessed up the I had gotten Stella.  When I brought her to Indiana she literally at the arm off the couch, but, in the end, Mom and Dad loved her dearly.

 Dad, Eury and Stella learning about the aquarium.

Stella, doing what she did best, with Mom, last summer.



 Labor Day, 2014, Oregon Coast.

Stella set toes, and only toes, in the Atlantic and the Pacific.  She lived in the South, Midwest, Northwest and Alaska.  She was my driving companion from Georgia to Indiana, Indiana to Oregon

 Multnomah Falls, 2014.

 Attacking Josiah this past Christmas, with Atticus and Ruben.

 Her perch in my room in Portland.  Watching for squirrels.


Stella was really, really lucky to have Josh watching out for her.  I cannot even count all the adventures he facilitated.  He always thinks about all the details so that the family can enjoy life together.

All that planning made this moment possible.  We were at the beach after Rune was born.  Everyone in the car.  It was so cold but so beautiful.

 With Atticus.

 Camping, Summer 2015.

 Independence Day, 2015.

 Cooling off in the River after a long hot walk.  This was the first, and last time I ever got her to go all in with water.  She hated water.

 In our house in Marshall.  I still half expect her to be there when I walk down the stairs.

 Hiking down Mount Piltcher.  She was annoyed at having to wait for me.

 Snuggling with Liz.  Stella loved Liz.  I was so happy that they got along so well.  It was one of my biggest worries about moving to Alaska, having a person to live with that would care for Stella as much as I did.  And she did.  Liz and Heather loved to spoil Stella.  She was lucky to have them.  Stella would get pretty mopey if she didn't get to see them for longer than a day.


 Dancing with my girl in our kitchen.

 Walking to the bridge.  Stella LOVED it here.  She was like a puppy again, rolling and jumping on the tundra.

 On our porch.

 Walking at the airport with Sadie.

 This is the last photo I took of my girl.  She was snuggled right between Liz and I on the couch.

I am so very grateful for all of the adventures I shared with Stella.  She gave me strength and comfort in some very difficult times.   She was just the best pup.  I am also so grateful for the many wonderful family and friends that have been so, so sweet.  They know how much I love Stella and many of them shared my love for her.  I have felt to so supported and loved.  Just as Stella would have wanted.

Comments

  1. Stella was one of the luckiest, most well cared for dogs I've ever known. She seemed more than half human & Amgen you looked into her eyes, she spoke to you. This was beautiful. And what a well documented life!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment