wheel, wheel

Transitioning to a larger role in the art classroom has been a build up.  It began with learning the procedures a learning climate of the classroom.  Then it continued as I learned about my students as individuals.  With so many students this is still an ongoing task.  The biggest challenge, however, has knowing the subject matter.  I could not guide or instruct students without a solid grasp of the media and project goals with which they are working.  One day I decided I needed to get back on the wheel.  
The last time I threw on a potter's wheel was 9th grade, in Mrs. Sharp's classroom.  The wheels were standing and not speed adjustable.  It was horrible and I was awful at it.  Truthfully, not much has changed.  It took two days of trying to yield this little cup.  The first day's try was bad.  I decided to take it much slower the next day and to bring in some tools.  I also took it nice and slow.



 This is my not perfect, lopsided product.


 For the glazing I decided to experiment with applying watered-down glaze to see how it would turn out.

 After the first firing.

 My final product with its clear coat.

Apparently, it passed muster as was good enough to drink.

Throwing on the wheel is most certainly a skill that I will need more practice at before I feel comfortable instructing students.  It would be really great to take a class or workshop to garner some professional insight.  

Comments

  1. yes & yes. I miss the wheel. It looks awesome. Get back on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something I have noticed with ceramics teachers: they tend to be the most chill and by far the most interesting. I don't know why but my sample size of Mrs. Sharp, Siggy from college and you tend to confirm this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out to be a beautiful little cup!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment