westward, ho!

[This post is dedicated to the wonderful Lizzie...Happy (late) Birthday!]

Here I am in Portland.

It has been beautiful and sunny nearly every day since I arrived on October 1st.  Apparently, it rained constantly and incessantly for the weeks prior to my arrival.

After a four hour flight with a three hour bus ride to the airport, there isn't a whole lot that is better than your best friend waiting for you at the arrival gate.

 But seeing her with her baby girl for the first time the next morning just about takes the cake.

 We spent my first day in Portland eating conveyer belt sushi and a giant Voodoo vegan apple fritter the size of my head.  It was delicious.

 As we sat and waited for the light to turn green I noticed my view.

I am constantly amazed at the view from anywhere.  Say, for instance, coming out of the grocery store there is the lovely hillside or while driving down the freeway and suddenly Mt. Hood appears in the distance.

This view on my walk the other day was pretty spectacular too.

My move to Oregon just happens to coincide with Rachel and Josh's move to a new house and neighborhood.  We have spent our first weeks together in the southeast side Cape Cod finding a home for everything.  

 One afternoon we designated the dining room as unpacking zone and just kept the boxing coming.

 This momma found a way to make it fun and enjoyed the circular aspect of the house's interior.  Eurydice got the tour via boxcar.

We had to go on the hunt for interior odds and ends to find a home for everything.  Rachel and I found our neighborhood thrift shops and made an afternoon of it.

 Eury enjoyed her view of it all.

I found a small Swingliner stapler, a few books and some index card file boxes circa when I was born that are covered in faux bois.  The main item I really wanted was a desk to make a studio nook inside my large door-less closet.  It had to be a certain size and I was not coming across anything in the thrift shops and craigslist.  Out exploring our neighborhood, much like most cities Portland has neighborhood centers with shops and restaurants, I took second glance around the cute vintage shop we have in Woodstock.  There I saw my table and after thinking about it for the day I went back to pick it up.

 It fits perfectly.

My room is the only bedroom on the first floor and has a lovely southern exposure with two beautiful windows.  One window faces the neighbor's house but the other overlooks the backyard.  It is the favorite perch of the dog's mugs as they survey the property for intruder squirrels.  The yard has a fantastic raised bed that I need to pop some cold crop greens into for the mild winter.  It currently is home to some past tomatoes.

 There is a nice platform deck that Rachel and I enjoyed morning yoga on my first Saturday.  It was wonderful.

The backyard has two bigger fans than the humans of the house.  Having traded up their non-grassed patch of land, the two dogs are loving having a yard with grass and trees.  It also really great that the house has a two door entry in the back to be able to wipe off paws when the rain rolls in this fall, winter, and spring.

 Atticus, who is turning five today, is about the same size as Stella and is sweet and solemn.

 Reuben, will be two in March, is all puppy even if he is slightly larger than Atticus.  Eury adores goofy Reuben and laughs hysterically whenever she sees him.

My days have been spent hanging out with Eurydice.  We have been getting to know one another and I am so very lucky to be watching her grow.  It is a real treat to see Rachel and Josh with her and the beautiful parents they are.

 It is so sweet when she goes down for her naps and even sweeter when she wakes up.

Getting aquatinted with the city has been fun.  Every school I pass I try to look up.  I spent one night googling the local districts and information about them.  I'm still trying to find a few favorites.  There is a potential [vegan] bakery I have to try out.  There are so many grocery stores that offer the food I eat but I still have a co-op in mind to look into.  I did find our local farmers market.  We made a stop last Sunday morning and found a great selection and many nice vendors.  If only it were year round.  The Goshen Farmers Market has me spoiled with its being indoor and year round.

 I picked up some beautiful kale, chard, spinach, leeks, apples, as well as some squash for soup.

Sundays around here are a day of rest, chili, and football.  Josh is a born and raised Denver Broncos fan.  Rachel is one by marriage and Eury is one by birth.  That decade plus of watching football has proven useful.  I know which one is the offense and which is the defense as well as a few player positions.

 It's pretty adorable and she may be a good luck charm.

They are one sweet family.

The adventure begins.

Comments

  1. Oh Sharon what a lovely post! It sounds like you and Portland are getting along swimmingly so far, which is absolutely wonderful! You're new desk is awesome & I was practically drooling with jealousy at your morning yoga on the back deck. Thank you so much for the update! I can now picture your life in my mind a little better!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment