my place for the month (or so)

Thunderstorms woke me up this morning.  Nothing beats thunder and lightening and massive downpour when you can enjoy it from your warm cozy bed.

 That bed overlooks this tree-lined street.

 This front gate leads to the front stoop.

Being that I have lived here for nearly a week now - that's quite a long time these days - I thought I aught to share this lovely new space with you.  I share the second floor apartment with three other people.  One, Johanna, is a former Fiber's alum (as is the lovely lady I'm subleasing from), and the other two are new faces.  

 One roomie had a birthday Wednesday and we celebrated, along with his friends and the downstairs neighbors in the neighbors' back yard.  It was really pretty in the candle light.  And, of course, Johanna had it decked out.  She also made some delicious potato salad, collard greens, and roasted turnip.

 Here is my corner of the apartment.

The whole place totally takes me back to Savannah and has the Victorian vibe.  Wood floors, tall ceilings, and great details.  The kitchen has a tin ceiling.

 The bed is super comfy with great morning light.

 I even found a place to hang my scarves and made certain Tim's brass elephant is facing east.

 At the other end of the house is the galley kitchen.  I'm fairly certain the house used to be a single family dwelling but was remodeled into a duplex.

 I love the big window in the kitchen.  It overlooks the backyards/gardens of the block.

Next to the kitchen is the living/dining room.  The first time I came over Flannery (from whom I'm subleasing) invited me to stay for pizza and as it turns out it had been ordered half without cheese because Johanna is intolerant as well.  They showed me the apartment and I was sold.

 One wall of the living room is a multi-paneled drapery featuring Botticelli's The Birth of Venus. As it turns out Flannery has had the Venus since college.  It's beautiful.  The seat underneath was made by a friend of Flannery's for our senior show.  She covered the cushion in fabric she designed.  It serves a good place to sit and guest-bed (complete with storage inside for extra blankets).  Notice the quilt on top - one of the joys of being a Fiber's home.  Hand-made quilts are always in sight.

 It's a great room.  Made only better by that record player and embroidered cat pillow.

Now all that's left is to get a library card and my sewing machine humming.

Comments

Post a Comment