week three

Today marks my fourth week in New York.

There are a few uncertain thing in my life but I will share with you a few of the day to day occurrences.

 I will take a subway ride.  Generally, I find myself on the L more often than not.  I often find myself amazed at how smoothly mass transit generally goes.  Sure there are delays - like last week when the train had stalled and ended up making me about twenty minutes late to work - but for the most part it is a pretty easy way to get where you are going.  People riding are generally respectful of one another.

 If it is a work-day I will ride elevators.  Sometimes I just take ours to the twenty-first floor but usually I am riding multiples as I make deliveries around the garment district and run errands.

 I will see the Empire State building.  The desk I sit at while working on our Vintage collection has this view and it was only last week that I realized that the tall building with the needle is the Empire State Building.

 I will see something creative.  These tiny guys are in the window of an industrial knitting shop on 39th Street.  I really want one!  I think it is the Barbie-loving pre-teen in me.

 I will remember to have a cup of tea.  Rachel gave me this box of Honey Vanilla Chamomile before I left and it has now found a home at the office so I can enjoy a cup anytime necessary.

I will go somewhere I have never been:
 Last Saturday I found the river-side parks on the East side of Manhattan.

 Once again I fell in love with falling petals.

 The trees are nearly fully leafed.

 A view towards New Jersey.

 A lovely fern-infested tree.

 And me, in need of a large-brimmed hat.  I improvised with my scarf but my winter skin has been washed away.

 I will find vegetables anywhere I look.  All the corner stores carry a sundry of what anyone could need.  Just the other day I bought: spinach, garlic, onion, and a carrot at the corner store.

 I will want something sweet to eat.  Last Saturday night - that's right it was like 8pm - I stopped in at Babycakes and decided to try the red velvet cupcake.  It was very good.

 I will find love.  I found this love on a sidewalk in the East Village.

 I will miss home.  The community gardens splattering this part of the city make me think of all the gardens in my life.

 I will eat.  It was a disgustingly rainy day on Sunday when I decided a three mile walk uptown sounded fine.  It was fine until my shoes started to get soggy - at which point being cold and damp could only be helped by hot lentil soup and and infused tea.

I will miss Stella.

Last Sunday evening I found a church service to attend.  I have not attended since living in Savannah and I think that is mostly that I felt such spiritual connection with my family and those surrounding me at home.  In this big city, it was so nice to be surrounded by a body of Believers.  Looking around and through the sermon I learned how different we all are but knowing that the people in there shared my faith gave me a great feeling of connection and comfort.  The service was held in the 18th floor of a hotel and as we descended via elevator and out into the busy-ness of Manhattan there was something so beautiful about it.

It has been a difficult week.  Living in such a transitional moment is taxing.  I am such a lucky girl to have so many great friends and family always checking up on me and sending their love and prayers.  I am so grateful.

Comments

  1. Sharon, you're the prettiest I've ever seen you! I love the fern infested tree you found and that you can get vegetables at the corner store. Can't wait to come visit you eventually!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment