the kiddos

Life has been a hustle and bustle and fun time around the Telschow homestead.  Having cousins Shaun and Cara and their pup Daisy visiting has been super fun.  It has been a while since we have had pre-teens residing in our home (Zachary is officially an adult next month, eek!). 


Showing Cara and Shaun how to stitch was definitely the icing on the cake to me.

When I was eight I often slept over at their family's house (well before either of them were born) and one summer afternoon their mom taught me how to sew.  She sat me down and showed me how to stitch on her sewing machine.  I made a hair scrunchie (ahhh, the nineties).   I made quite a few hair scrunchies in pastel floral patterns.

I thought it was only fitting that I show them how to stitch, albeit my hand - I'm not quite ready to let them have at my Bernina.

 Stella and Shaun in their quite thoughtful ways have developed a mutual admiration and adoration.

 Their first project was stitching felt pouches.

 Shaun insisted that he needed a white label with his name stitched on the back.  I had him draw his name and I stitched it out for him.

 We all sat on the floor in my studio corner stitching

Another night I stitched them up a quick set of old sweater mittens.  They kind of pull funny in the thumbs but do the trick.  Cara stitched two little patches on her set.  I loved it.

The kiddos went to visit with Rachel's folks for a few days.  I went over to their house for dinner tonight and Cara had a new creation to show me.  I had sent a cache of felt scraps, threads, a few needles and pair of small scissors with her and she was already whipping up a storm.  She also made the most adorable stitched thank you card before she and Shaun left yesterday.  It is so sweet and I pinned it to the wall in the kitchen.

Comments

  1. It looks like you've infected the next generation with a love for handmade things - that is so neat! That thank you card would be a real treasure. I would keep it forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that! What a full circle. And her mittens rock. Seriously! She must be on your mom's side - she looks like her little twin! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment