a good saturday

My morning started out wonderfully because I put my alarms on silent and slept until I was ready to get up.  Then I did a little yoga in the morning sun.  After cleaning the shower I headed to Goshen with Jason and Zachary.

 Zachary drove.  My car.  He is working on getting his licence.  Yikes!

I had errands downtown Goshen, so we started at Maple City Market, said hello to Aunt Patti, and ran into Josh and Rachel.  Then we ran to the grocery store and Asian food store to gather supplies for an evening of sushi making with cousin George. 

George is the only other red head in the Reusser clan (Mom's side) and spent five years at Purdue with Sam, Jason and Josiah.  He shares my brother's taste in anime and is a big fan of Japanese culture.  He is also brilliant. 

 George and Zachary spreading rice over the nori sheets.  Zac's goal was to make a rice and nori spiral.

 George taught us all how to roll the sushi so you deserve a lesson too.  The rice covers half the nori sheet, covering side to side but leaving a little of the edge closest to you empty.  It is a short grain variety. Grabbing the mat with your thumb and index finger you use your other fingers to stabilize the veggies and start the roll.
 
 Once you complete on roll you have to press and tuck the roll while drawing back the mat.  That was my favorite part.

 When cutting apart the slices we dipped our knives in rice vinegar and cut a starter slit in the top before sawing it apart.

 And ususally the first one doesn't look so good...so you have to eat it.  Darn.

 There were many platefuls by the end of the making.  And by then I was full.

 Sam's girlfriend Laura is visiting this weekend and they road off to town to get some smore stuff.

Our parking lot is pretty full...seven cars at the moment.

Dad is working on starting the fire pit up. The town's fireworks are tonight.

 These knockout roses are looking pretty saucy.

 Mom is playing away in her garden.
I'd say all in all it has been one of those great Saturdays - restful and lovely.  My mind is finally calmed down from yesterday and this week.  This coming Tuesday I was scheduled to have my gallbladder removed but yesterday I made the decision to cancel.  Although at first I was so very adamant about having it out after really thinking about it I was not 100% confident it was the right decision to make.  After going a month with controlling the issue through diet I feel as though I have not tried enough alternatives to go through with such a permanent procedure.  I know that many, many people have them removed and are so much happier for doing so, I am choosing not to at the moment.  Now I am trying to educate myself on the function of the gall bladder (because it does have one) and what I can do to give it all the help I can.   

Comments

  1. I love the picture of your mom :) And keep me updated on the gallbladder... I'm glad you don't have to go under! Good thing you had that consultation first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. The sushi looks delicious, the gardens beautiful, and I'm so glad you're giving your gallbladder a little more time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment