the quest for the missing glove: walking on water

This afternoon Marcus, Lily, Maeve and I set out to retrace my steps from the first day here and see if we could locate the right had to my set of gloves.  I seem to have misplaced it and am thinking I probably took it off and laid it on my lap, then got out of the car and dropped it somewhere.  Our first place to look was in Apex.  

Apex is the old part of town that has been around long before Iqaluit was a city.  Amy had taken me down by the bay the other day to see the oldest buildings in town, the former Hudson Bay Company location.

Upon arrival I scoured, with the help of Lily, the area for the missing glove, but alas did not find it. We did however have a great time climbing on the sea ice.

 You can see some houses from the city in the distance.

 With the tides rising and falling ice formations happen.  That ice looks sharp.

 Here you can see the shoreline and Apex in the distance.

 Right where the water starts.  Lily love "skating" on it.  Maeve avoided every ice spot possible.

 The big waves make good slides.

 Lily is looking over a big "crack" in the ice.  In places where the ice has broken apart it is important to be wary of holes in the ice masked by the snow.  They could potentially lead down to the water.

 Another captivatingly large crack in the ice.


 Maeve in her snowsuit is just the cutest thing.  She looks like a little penguin.  (wrong pole)

 The water is about twenty feet deep underneath us.

 Go figure, sea weed.

 That is a great big formation, taller than me, but it was getting a bit too cold to make it all the way out to it with the kiddos.

After our exploration of the sea ice Marcus gave me the run down on a few of the utility services and took the girls and I for a quick drive past the sewage lagoon, town dump, and oil reserves.

  Along the way we got to drive past the lot where a friend of Amy and Marcus' keeps her sled dogs tied.  Hopefully, I'll get to go for a ride one of these days!

Comments

  1. Oh my gosh, look at those dogs! You better not come home without going for a dog sled ride, just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment